Welcome everybody! For the first time EVER, I am going to attempt 12 mini posts in the month of December, all dedicated to the holidays.
Topics I will cover will be LDR related, beauty related, food related, date nights, meeting your partner’s family for the first time, gift ideas, Christmas over skype, etc!
I hope you all enjoy this madness I’m trying to create while I also write my nursing exams ><
I LOVE YOU ALL. Happy Holidays, no matter what you are celebrating this December! ^-^
On the first day of Blogmas, my Tammy brings to meeeeee: Vegan Christmas Cookies! Mmm..
So as you all know, I’m transitioning to veganism. I wanted to share three AMAZING cookie recipes I have found online by vegan chefs/bakers. Try them out and discover veganism isn’t as limited as you’d think ^-^ You can bake with your partner while they visit you this season, OR bake over Skype and pig out together! All titles are linked to the original blog post/recipe.
- 16 to 20 oreo cookies
- 7 to 10 oz semisweet or bittersweet chocolate
- 1 tsp mint extract
- Twist the oreos to separate them (see notes), and scrape off the cream filling (either discard the filling…or eat it, if you’re into that.)
- Melt (and temper, if you can be bothered – see her post) the chocolate, then stir in the mint extract well.
- Dip an oreo half in the melted chocolate, turn to coat using a fork.
- Use the fork to remove the oreo from the chocolate, tap it on the edge of the bowl a few times (to let excess chocolate drip off) and transfer to a lined cookie sheet.
- Leave at room temperature until set.
- In medium bowl, mix flour (1 ½ cups), baking powder (1tsp), baking soda (½ tsp), cinnamon (1tsp), ginger (½ tsp), allspice (1/4tsp) and salt (1/4tsp). Set aside.
- In large bowl, cream shortening (1/3 cup) and sugar (¼ cup) with fork. Stir in molasses (1/3 cup), hot water (2 ¼ tbsp) and vanilla (1/2tsp) with large spoon. Stir in flour mixture until smooth, 1 minute.
- Cover dough. Chill 2 to 4 hours.
- On lightly floured surface, roll out dough. Cut out shapes. Bake on cookie sheet in 400F oven 8 to 10 minutes, depending on size. Cool on sheet. Decorate as you like.
- Cream the butter (¾ cup), sugar (1 cup) and vanilla (1 tsp) together until light and fluffy.
- Separately mix together the flour (2 ½ cups), baking powder (½ tsp) and salt (¼ tsp). Add this to the butter mixture and mix, add the water (4 tbsp) as you need it will depend on how ‘wet’ your vegan butter is.
- Shape the dough into 2 equal size balls, flatten slightly, wrap in cling film and chill for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 190C.
- Generously flour your work surface then gently knead the dough a few times until it is smooth. Keep the surface and your rolling pin well floured and roll out to about ¼” thick. Flour your cutters and cut out your shapes.
- Transfer to a baking paper lined baking sheet Then bake for 10 – 12 minutes. They should still be pale and only just getting golden at the edges.
- Let cool for 5 minutes on the sheet then transfer to a wire rack to fully cool before decorating as you wish.
- For the frosting just add a few tablespoons of vegan butter with a few drops of vanilla extract, mix it up then add enough icing sugar alternately with either dairy free milk or cream (whatever you have on hand) until it’s creamy and tastes good.